Exciting new course to for those looking to build solid foundations for spiritual growth…
We are delighted to let you know that the School of Mary will be running an introductory course to the spiritual life starting in February 2016.
Solid Foundations (previously known simply as “the first level course”) is for all of us who have found our feet in starting to practice our faith (weekly Mass, some prayer) but who now want to know “is there something more?” and “how can I start to draw closer to the Lord?”.
The Solid Foundations course draws on the insight and practical advice of the great spiritual writers including St John of the Cross, St Teresa of Avila and St Therese of the Child Jesus to help us understand the basics we need to put in place and the part we are invited to play to begin to grow in our relationship with God… and how much more lies in store!
The course has been broken into three sections so that those wanting to complete the full course in one year can do so, but equally those who can only do a more limited number of Saturdays can choose to do just one or two of the sections now and the rest at a future point:
· Solid Foundations – Praying with Scripture will run on 27th February, 5th and 12th of March
· Solid Foundations – How the spiritual life works takes place on the 16th and 23rd of April
· Solid Foundations – Praying with the Heart will happen on the 11th, 18th and 25th of June
The course will run at St Mary of the Angels, in Bayswater and, as the venue has limited capacity and we expect demand to be high, participants will need to register and pay a deposit in advance.
Please see below for further details on the course and how to register. If you have any questions then please do contact us on email@example.com.
The School of Mary
What topics does this course cover ?
This course looks at how we can grow in relationship with God, what gets in the way and what can help. Participants will have the opportunity to put the teaching into practice for themselves and there will be time for question and answer sessions in each section so that people can make sure they grasp the content and begin to make it their own.
What topics are covered?
The course draws on the teachings of three Doctors of the Church who focus on the spiritual life – St Teresa of Avila, St John of the Cross and St Therese of the Child Jesus – and focuses on three key areas:
1. Praying with Scripture: understanding how to pray with Scripture, what to expect when we begin to pray in this way and the opportunity for some hands on practice
2. How the spiritual life works: looking at the shape of the spiritual life, the role of Our Lady and the guiding principles which we need to understand in order to start to co-operate more easily with what God is inviting us to
3. Praying with the heart: finding our bearings with contemplative prayer – what it is, how to pray in this way and what to bear in mind as we find our feet… as well as the chance to put it all into action
Where and when will the course be taking place?
The course will take place at St Mary of the Angels, Moorhouse Road, Bayswater, London, W2 5DJ from 10am to 4:30pm on the following Saturdays:
· Solid Foundations – Praying with Scripture: 27th February, 5th March and 12th March
· Solid Foundations – How the spiritual life works: 16th and 23rd April
· Solid Foundations – Praying with the heart (moving into contemplative prayer): 11th, 18th and 25th of June
How much will the course cost?
The cost for the course is £25 per day / £200 for the full course. As the venue has limited capacity and we expect demand to be very high, participants will need to register and pay a deposit of £75 in advance with any remaining balance to be paid on 27th February.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest and we will send on details of
how to make payment by bank transfer or cheque.