Monday 4 June 2012

10: Jesus, the Great "Twister"


Hi, how are your “taste buds” today? Did you jump yesterday?

Praying todays Readings of the Mass (http://dailygospel.org) in English (and not in French) I had a slight moment of hesitation reading this verse of the Psalm “Because he clings to me”… I thought the Psalmist is speaking about God. So I saw it: “Because He clings to me”. It is true that God loves us, and that God loves us in a very “foolish” way… to the point that He died this way (on the Cross) for each one of us.

To cling is: “to hold fast or adhere closely (to something), as by gripping or sticking”
To cling is as well: “to remain in contact (with each other)”.
You may prefer this sense: “to be or remain physically or emotionally close”.

It is the very case of God. Otherwise he wouldn’t have done what he did to us. His love for us is simply incredible...

Then we can read the Psalm this way “God clings to me”. Yes.
But I hear you saying: "the rest of the passage doesn’t seem to work". This is the least horrible reaction you’ll have to my “chatter”. Well it is not that much of a chatter, I am serious:

“Because He clings to me, I will deliver Him;
I will set Him on high because He acknowledges my name.
All who call upon me I will answer;
I will be with him in distress.” (Ps 91)

You’ll say: all this puts everything upside down. You are right, but the first one to put things upside down is Jesus himself when he said: “each time you do this to the smallest, you did it for Me” (Mt 25).



Each time I deliver Jesus who dwells in the heart of a person, each time I make a effort (walking the extra mile) with a person, I set Him (who dwells inside) on high….
My name is: "Christian…". I bear the Name of Jesus Christ…

All the people who call upon me I will answer and not act deaf.

"God", Who Is buried in many hearts, "God" Who Is in prison in many hearts, hearts who are thirsty, who want to breath: "I will be with Him" (Him being in them) "when He is in distress".

How are your taste buds? Did you wear your swimming trunks?

I know that seems quite a twist… but the great twister is Jesus not me. Let us worship Him dwelling in them… Give your friends some good food (not abstract concepts, pleaaaaase), some good Spiritual Theology that is understandable, practical, useable; you’ll free your friends. Teach them how to pray. You don’t know how to do it? Well, learn then how to “cook”. I mean the good Bread of Spiritual Theology. Quite a challenge. But this is Love.



“Because He clings to me, I will deliver Him;
I will set Him on high because He acknowledges my name.
All who call upon me I will answer;
I will be with him in distress.” (Ps 91)

Bon appétit!

Jean

No comments: